[Cialug] FS Type 72, 74, sda1p1, sda1p2

kristau kristau at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 19:18:35 CDT 2010

On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 12:18 PM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:
> Just had a friend bring a laptop by for recovery, .. and the HD has a
> config I have never seen before.
>
> Partition 1, /dev/sda1p1, type 72
> Partition 2, /dev/sda1p2, type 75

Partition type 72 is supposed to be V7/x86, a port of UNIX Version 7
to the PC, available at www.nordier.com/v7x86.

Partition type 75 is supposed to be 75 IBM PC/IX

> Partion 3 shows Novell Netware
> Partition 4 show blank

Novell Netware has several partition types associated with it:

64 Novell Netware 286, 2.xx
65 Novell Netware 386, 3.xx or 4.xx
    (Novell Netware used to be the main Network Operating System
available. Netware 68 or S-Net (1983) was for a Motorola 68000,
Netware 86 for an Intel 8086 or 8088. Netware 286 was for an Intel
80286 and existed in various versions that were later merged to
Netware 2.2. Netware 386 was a rewrite in C for the Intel 386, later
renamed 3.x - it existed at least in versions 3.0, 3.1, 3.10, 3.11,
3.12. Its successor Netware 4.xx had versions 4.00, 4.01, 4.02, 4.10,
4.11. Then came Intranetware.) Netware >= 3.0 uses one partition per
drive. It allocates logical Volumes inside these partitions. The
volumes can be split over several drives. The filesystem used is
called "Turbo FAT"; it only very vaguely resembles the DOS FAT file
system. (Kai Henningsen (kai at khms.westfalen.de))
66 Novell Netware SMS Partition
    According to disk.c in the Netware source. SMS: Storage Management
Services. No longer used.
67 Novell
    Roman Gruber reports: this code has frozen my version of norton
disk-editor (so I think it has to be something special). Jeff Merkey
says: 67 is for Wolf Mountain.
68 Novell
69 Novell Netware 5+, Novell Netware NSS Partition
    According to disk.c in the Netware source. NSS = Novell Storage Services.

[ source: http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/partitions/partition_types-1.html ]

> [Reading with fdisk from a System Rescue CD.]
>
> Has anyone seen a setup like this? They thought they were running XP, but
> this sort of partition arrangement is nothing Windoze can support to my
> knowledge.

No, I've not see this very odd looking setup. If you can somehow
confirm they were indeed using Windows XP prior to their "crash" then
I see only two possibilities:

* The drive's partition table is corrupted, giving false information
about the partitions.
* They were using some sort of whole disk encryption based off of that
V7/x86 *nix variant.
--
Tired programmer
Coding late into the night