[Cialug] a question

Josh More MoreJ at alliancetechnologies.net
Tue Aug 24 09:43:43 CDT 2010

This is going to come off of a bit harsh, but you're not going to find that mentor until you've put in a fair amount of work yourself.

Work options:

1) Find a nonprofit that needs some admin time.  (Check out volunteermatch.org)
2) Find a startup that allows you to do admin stuff at night and on the weekends.  (Talk to Mike at bizci.org)
3) Join an open source project.  (TroubleMaker can always use some work)
4) Start a blog, write up what you learn as you learn.
5) Pursue a degree.  Even an associates would help.  (DMACC, Hamilton, etc)  There are funding/loan options if money is an issue.
6) Pursue a certification.  RHCE is pretty much the only game in town for what you want.  TroubleMaker is a good option there.
7) Become active in user groups.  Give presentations.

Learning options:

I learn best from books... so here are some good ones:

1) RHCE Study Guide by Michael Jang
2) Time Management for System Administrators - O'Reilly
3) Don't Send a Resume - Jeffrey Fox
4) How to Win Friends and Influence People - Dale Carnegie
5) What the CEO Wants You to Know - Ram Charan
6) Meditations - Marcus Aurelius

In the end though, if you're not working at least 20 to 40 hours a week on self improvement outside of work, you're not going to rise to the next level.  The more you put in, the faster you move.  Build a schedule.  Track your time.  You have to control yourself before you can controls systems.

-Josh More, CISSP, GIAC-GSLC, GIAC-GCIH, RHCE, NCLP
morej at alliancetechnologies.net<mailto:morej at alliancetechnologies.net>
515-245-7701