[Cialug] Weird USB drive issue

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Thu Aug 12 08:30:24 CDT 2010

Following up on the post about USB drives 'going to sleep', I did a quick
ls cron job yesterday to try and prevent the problem.

Here's the weird part - I thought I was imagining it the first time, but I
was correct:

When the drive 'goes to sleep', the ID CHANGES! It was /dev/sdf1 last
night, .. but this morning it was /dev/sde1! What could possibly cause
this? Given that the continuous ls did not keep it 'awake', it seems like
something is causing the system to farkle the mount & force a detect,
which switch to a different ID.

	Lee