[Cialug] USB mounted drives

Tom Pohl tom at tcpconsulting.com
Fri Aug 6 10:13:56 CDT 2010

I have a USB backup drive that gets rsync'd to it every night and unmounts when the backup completes.

At the start of my backup script, I throw in an "fdisk -l /dev/sda" (the drive is /dev/sda in this case) to get things moving and allow it to spin up nicely before trying to mount it.

I've found that it really depends on the manufacturer as to if it will spin up nicely or complain at you.  My western digital usb drives generally don't need that command, but my seagate usb drives certainly do!

Thanks!
-Tom