[Cialug] postfix or exim on Debian?

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at drake.edu
Wed Aug 4 14:00:56 CDT 2010

On 2010-08-04 at 12:15:05, Nathan C. Smith wrote:
>What are the merits of either?  Are either being actively improved?
>This isn't an Internet-facing situation that I'm asking about.

The merits of exim are that it is the default. Beyond that, you'll have
to ask someone else what makes it valuable as i don't know. On regular
(aka, non e-mail server) systems i just go with exim and use "dpkg-
reconfigure exim4-config" to make changes. My e-mail server, however,
runs Postfix. The MTAs i'm most familiar with are Qmail and Postfix, but
Postfix is easier to configure. And given that Qmail's latest release
was in 1998, it seems safe to say that it is no longer maintained. I got
a good 8 or 9 years out of Qmail though. It was good in its day.

--
Daniel A. Ramaley
Network Engineer 2

Dial Center 118, Drake University
2407 Carpenter Ave / Des Moines IA 50311 USA
Tel: +1 515 271-4540
Fax: +1 515 271-1938
E-mail: daniel.ramaley at drake.edu