[Cialug] Interesting problem with 2.5" backup drive

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Tue Apr 27 15:22:37 CDT 2010

I saw a similar problem to this on my drive that did not conform to
the USB standard and drew too much power. The solution was to use the
cable that came with my drive that had two usb connectors to the PC.

I have two usb drives (different hard drives, different cases) and one
works fine and the other one needs the two-pronged cord. The one with
the two-pronged cord sometimes works in my wife's windows computer
using a normal cable. Will never work in my Ubuntu computer though.

The difference between my case and yours though is that dmesg tells me
that its a power problem.

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 3:09 PM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:
> Just received a couple of Toshiba 2.5" backup drives as my 3 1/2" one
> is full, .. and, lo-and-behold, it will not mount on a Linux system!
>
> I hung it on a Windoze system to delete the backup program &
> partition, then recreated it to ensure that any autoplay nonsense is
> gone. It mounts fine on XP, but whenever I hang it on a known good
> OpenSuSE 11.1 machine it just sits there & 'hunts'. dmesg Shows the
> manufacturer & SN, then 'reset high speed USB device', but nothing else.
>
> Has anyone, per chance, seen behavior like this? I have seen disks
> with Windoze specific backup software, but never a disk that refuses
> to *mount* on a Linux system.
>
>        Lee

Matthew Nuzum

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Seek what they
sought." –Matsuo Bashō