[Cialug] python 2.7

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Sun Apr 25 14:29:02 CDT 2010

On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 11:23 AM, Kevin C. Smith <kevin at linuxsmith.com> wrote:
> The 2.x and 3.x are being maintained at the same time.
> Many projects have not converted to python 3 yet, which was expected.
> You will see the python 2 series remain for some years to come.

To be more clear, many important and influential/critical libraries
are not yet ready. Twisted is an often cited example.

I asked the Ubuntu developers if we could switch to Python 3 in Ubuntu
10.10 to encourage projects to test and adopt py3. In the GNOME world,
PyGTK is not ready yet so is holding things back.

It will be a very slow process. However, not a python specific problem
- for example, many popular web apps have to support PHP 4 still. And
then there's Perl 6...

--
Matthew Nuzum

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Seek what they
sought." –Matsuo Bashō