[Cialug] Mailling List Admin

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Thu Apr 22 09:30:40 CDT 2010

At 09:19 AM 4/22/2010, you wrote:
>But if you bought a $0.5k generator you probably wouldn't run your
>whole house on it. Just plug in your freezer and a couple critical
>items directly, right?

That's one way to do it, .. it's simpler to just shed loads you don't
need (i.e. flag high-load breakers - ovens, stoves, electric water
heater, AC units, .. just tag & flip the breakers when running on generator).

>Then you wouldn't need a transfer switch.

The only time I used extension cords was when we were replacing the
main panel and I ran cords to power the critical sub-panels. Flipping
non-essential breakers along with the main breaker is a lot simpler
than running extension cords.

>  I don't think I've ever even seen a generator that cheap. It'd certainly
>only be engineered for short-term, light duty use.

Hopefully, power outages ARE short-term, .. there are a number of
sources for reasonably priced generators designed for short-term use
(i.e. a day or two at a time, worst case): Generac, Honda, Northern
Hydraulics, Harbor Freight, ... & always a few listed on Craig's List.

         Lee