[Cialug] Mailling List Admin

Dave Hala Jr dave at 58ghz.net
Wed Apr 21 17:02:30 CDT 2010

The "main breaker" is a dual pole breaker type of device located on the
pole right below the meter. When this breaker is tripped, you are
isolated from the grid. (both legs)

If you flip the "main" on the panel in the house the common is not
isolated from the grid.  Sometimes people will flip the "main" on the
panel in the house then plug their generator into a dryer outlet. This
can cause a lineman to get shocked. This is probably what Murray is
referring to.