[Cialug] Mailling List Admin

Jim Asbille jim.asbille at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 10:33:23 CDT 2010

BTW, slightly tangentially, the other day on my way home I saw a car with
the bumper sticker "I Read Your Email" and they had one of those Christian
style fish but inside the fish it said "Linux".  Was that one of you?

I think who you trust is mostly perception.  I took pause years ago with
Gmail because of the scanning thing but I realized that we are all hanging
our @55e5 out there anyway.  At least I know what Google is doing and in
fact it has benefited me over the years.  In regards to the local ISP, as
far as I know it could be some kid with A+ Certification running the mail
server.  I'll stick with Google. The best I can do is keep my behavior safe
and check my credit cards regularly to be sure I'm not getting scammed.

Sure if the electrical grid goes down I'm f'd up but I'm not going to spend
my life stockpiling c-rations and maintaining a diesel generator.  A little
paranoia is good but at some point it gets out of hand.  The difficulty is
knowing where the event horizon is.

Jim Asbille, MSM
registered Linux user number 388067

"Focusing your life solely on making a buck shows a certain poverty of
ambition. It asks too little of yourself. Because it's only when you hitch
your wagon to something larger than yourself that you realize your true
potential." -- Barack Obama