[Cialug] VOIP DIaltone

David Bierce david at bierce.org
Fri Apr 16 20:56:13 CDT 2010

Two second what some other have said on list.

Locally Freese Notis and I think Internet Solver, Wies will correct me if I'm wrong on Internet Solver :), offer dial tone.

I found most national providers including Whole Sale Purchasing from ATT, Bandwidth.com, and 8x8 do not offer number ports to most Iowa Markets and if they do have very limited markets locations they will offer for Iowa DIDs.

Nationally, for service on Iowa numbers I can suggest Vitelity www.vitelity.com and Velocity www.vel.net.  Outbound should never cost you more than 1.45 on any metered plan and inbound calls should never cost more than 1.5 on a metered plan. There are cheaper places, but if you see anything going over those prices for non 8XX numbers, look for a different provider.

If you're just starting and looking at carriers, I'd recommend Vitelity.  It costs you 35 dollars to get started since you have to prepay for service, but you can be up and making calls in less than 5 minutes and the service has been stable for all the outbound calls I route through them.

Both also have faxing services, T.38, if you're interested in crappy images transmission.