[Cialug] suggestions on HDD based backup

Tim Wilson tim_linux at wilson-home.com
Thu Apr 15 12:03:00 CDT 2010

I work for a company that uses a Netgear ReadyNAS box, and I can say that
we've had problems with it.  The last time the failure was so bad that we
actually lost all backups stored on it.  From what I heard from our admin,
it sounded like more than one drive failed, and we were never notified that
the first drive had failed.

Couple that with some domain renaming that happened to occur at the same
time, and we had permission issues backing up to our own directories.  My
directory was owned by someone else.  It was like it scrambled the IDs and
lost who's ID went to which directory.

Our admin has also read horror stories about their support.  A problem was
reported, and it took 2 years for someone from Netgear to get back to them.
 By that time, they had replaced the system with OpenBSD (I believe), and
hadn't had a problem since.

In their defense, our unit is pretty old, and I think it pre-dates Netgear
buying the company that made it.  So maybe the ones made by Netgear are
better.

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 11:36 AM, Josh More
<MoreJ at alliancetechnologies.net>wrote:

>  I'd buy a few cheap Netgear ReadyNAS boxes, put two 1T drives in each and
> use rsync to backup to multiple sets.  Once a week, swap devices.
>
> No drives to change, setup is fairly simple and the data sets are mirrored,
> so if a hard drive dies, you have time to deal.
>

>  -Josh More, CISSP, GIAC-GSLC, GIAC-GCIH, RHCE, NCLP
> morej at alliancetechnologies.net
> 515-245-7701

Tim
Required reading: http://bccplease.com/