[Cialug] webserver dropped DHCP

Zachary Kotlarek zach at kotlarek.com
Wed Apr 7 16:09:24 CDT 2010

On Apr 7, 2010, at 2:29 PM, jrnosee at gmail.com wrote:

> Is there any way to get a ubuntu computer to keep checking for DHCP if it looses it's IP?  We had a DHCP server go down and I couldn't get to the computer even after DHCP was restored.  I had to hard-kill the PC and reboot as it's running headless.

man 8 dhclient-script

At least if you're running ISC DHCP.

There are some standardized hooks you can tie into by adding files to /etc, plus you can just hack /sbin/dhclient-script; for flexibility in porting dchlient relies on a shell script to actually do all of the local IP address changing and whatnot, so you can customize the behavior when it loses a lease.

	Zach