[Cialug] Computer to TV

Eric Junker eric at eric.nu
Sun Apr 4 20:13:35 CDT 2010

On 4/3/2010 9:56 PM, Todd Walton wrote:
> What's the easiest way to see the media I have on my computer on my TV screen?
>
> I don't have a "media center" set up, and my computer doesn't have a
> TV card in it.  Though maybe that's what I need, that and a really
> long set of RCA cables.  I have a Roku, and I love being able to
> stream Netflix to my television.  I've seen this thing called xbmc,
> which is media center software for Linux.  It'd be nice if I could use
> media center software on my computer to be a server, and have a
> channel on Roku that pulled from it.

If you have an HDTV it probably has a VGA connector and/or an HDMI
connector. I connect my netbook to my TV using a VGA connector and the
HDTV acts just like an external monitor. Also some HDTVs have USB ports
that allow you to play media from a USB flash drive. And I've also seen
HDTVs that support DLNA streaming which means you could stream media
from your computer to your TV over the network.

Before I had an HDTV I used the S-video output on my video card and fed
it into an RF modulator which then modulated the signal to channel 3 or
4. The modulator connected to my TV via coax. You can get an RF
modulator for about $20.

If you like XBMC then you should also take a look at Boxee.
http://www.boxee.tv/ and the soon to be released Boxee Box hardware
http://www.boxee.tv/box

I also have a Roku box. I haven't done it yet but there are several
people on the Roku forums that have ways to stream media from your
computer to the Roku box. Here are some links to more information:
http://roksbox.wikispaces.com/
http://netguy204.github.com/roku_media_server/

Eric