[Cialug] Free hardware

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at drake.edu
Wed Sep 16 14:13:31 CDT 2009

You probably do remember when they put it in. Summer of 1997 students
came back to Drake with ethernet in the dorms and brand new POP mail
(didn't you help install the ethernet?). I think that ES40 server was
installed at that time to replace the previous QuickMail that employees
used and the console-based PMDF mail that students had on acad.drake.
So... the machine is 12 years old. It has been out of service for a bit
more than 1 year. For 11 years it single-handedly processed all the
mail for ~15000 POP/IMAP accounts. Now it is time for it to go. <sniff>