[Cialug] Mediacom fscking with web access?

Todd Walton tdwalton at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 13:23:59 CDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 12:20 PM, Josh
More<morej at alliancetechnologies.net> wrote:
> I think that the vast majority of Medicom's customers don't care at all.
>  I don't think that there is any backlash worth considering.

I agree.

> They target people who want a relatively reliable service for a relatively low price.

That's me.

> Anyone on this mailing list is already outside of Mediacom's target market.

That's me, too.  Am I a target or not?

The truth is, their service is *not* reliable and *not* low price.
It's not terrible, I've had worse, but I've never had a DSL service
that was unavailable as much as Mediacom is.  And the lowest price
they'd give me on Internet only was $60/month.  That's $60 a month of
blazing fast Internet, and I didn't want blazing fast.  I don't need
anything near the speed they were giving me, but they wouldn't let me
buy anything cheaper.  So I'm paying (was paying until this month) for
more than I need.  But Qwest would only promise me 256K (that's all
they'd promise) and *that's* too little.

> (As an aside, this is also why net neutrality is a dead issue.  There
> just aren't enough people around that care about freedom to outweigh the
> volume of people that just care about "good enough" and can therefore
> sustain a business model around an incomplete Internet.)

I care about freedom, and I do not support "net neutrality" if it
means government mandate.

I'm sorry to be breaking all your assumptions.  I'm not doing it on
purpose, I swear.

--
Todd