[Cialug] Mediacom fscking with web access?

Morris Dovey mrdovey at iedu.com
Mon Sep 7 22:50:42 CDT 2009

Jonathan C. Bailey wrote:
> I figured it out once... I think I would need 40-60ft to clear the
> tree lines. That still wouldn't give me a good fresnel, however.

That's a lot of altitude. I've heard of using of a 7-element quad
antenna (high gain, narrow pattern) pointed at a 2m (VHF) FM repeater,
connected with a short coax to a 4-element quad (lower gain, broader
pattern) antenna pointed at a home to allow handy talkie access from
below LoS. Since the antennas weren't connected to any equipment and
didn't produce interference with other services, there weren't any FCC
issues.

It seemed as if it might be possible to do the same for a wireless
connection. DIY antennas are fairly inexpensive, but 60' of height might
be a tad spendy if it involved a tower.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar