[Cialug] Basic video rotation with mplayer failing

Colin Burnett cmlburnett at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 23:27:23 CDT 2009

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 8:09 PM, Colin Burnett <cmlburnett at gmail.com> wrote:

> Any suggestions?  I've never had this much problem with mplayer before.

FWIW.  I don't know what mplayer's problem was but I got around it
using a combo of ffmpeg & mencoder:

$ ffmpeg -i foo -acodec mp2 -vcodec mpeg2video -sameq foo2
$ mencoder -oac twolame -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vhq:vpass=1:vbitrate=24000000 -vf flip,mirror foo2 -o foo3
$ mencoder -oac twolame -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vhq:vpass=2:vbitrate=24000000 -vf flip,mirror foo2 -o foo3

First step converted the H.264+PCM to MPEG 2 which then was
"acceptable" to mencoder.  The last two do a 2-pass encoding of a 180
rotation of the video.

Perhaps a bit convoluted and I lose a bit of quality transcoding twice
but that doesn't bother me much.  As a bonus, the final format is an
acceptable format for flickr and facebook (and, presumably, youtube
but I've yet to try it).

Colin Burnett