[Cialug] Disk Performance and Measurement

Nathan C. Smith nathan.smith at ipmvs.com
Fri Oct 30 16:50:39 CDT 2009

Those are both good questions.  My first instinct would be that a hardware based disk system like the Compaq and the 3WARE would degrade less under load, but the AoE is so elegantly simple it is hard to imagine it has more than a slight impact on the system in a heavy load.

Right now these systems are  mostly pieces of my backup solution and so those questions are not as relevant to my application as they would be to something like a file, web, or a database server.  All these speeds are more-than-acceptable to me right now because they far outpace the speed that my backup software can copy and process the files on my systems.

-Nate