[Cialug] Adding a drive to expand /home directory

Tom Sellers tomsellers2001 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 12 19:56:41 CDT 2009

I have a machine that I use to store files on at home that I can access from any other machine on my network.  I call it a file server although it probably does not qualify on all counts as a server.

My problem is that I have nearly exceeded the size of the storage capacity on the /home directory.  I have another old drive that I was attemting to add to the system to expand my storage.  I have formatted the drive and also mounted the drive but I do not see the extra space that is added by the drive.

I mounted the drive as a subdirectory beneath /home called /home/extended.
The problem is that although I can see the extended directory by using the ls command when I look at the /home directory from the file share I do not see the additional capacity of the drive.  The new drive should add twice as much space as was available with the original directory on the first drive.

Linux is not my primary operating system and I hardly ever use it at work since the organization is a Windows shop.

Any ideas on what I might be missing?