[Cialug] Time to change your passwords.

Josh More morej at alliancetechnologies.net
Wed Oct 7 09:28:44 CDT 2009

It's worth noting that this particular spam attack is related to the
Zeus/Zbot bot network and if the attack is successful, it will steal
online banking credentials.  It's really quite ingenious how it works,
but the upshot is that it's sucking hundreds of thousands of dollars
(each) out of small business accounts and turning compromised
workstations into "mules" for laundering the money.

It also messes with the HTML returned by the banking sites, so you can't
even reliably check your balance online... so if you know anyone who
might have clicked on a link or run an attachment, you should tell them
to call their bank and manually verify recent activity.

-Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP, GIAC
 morej at alliancetechnologies.net
 515-245-7701

>>> Jeff Davis <me at digitaljeff.com> 10/07/09 9:01 AM >>>
I've gotten several questions recently from non-tech people who
have gotten fake IRS emails with links in them that look like this:
  http://www.irs.gov.go.nl

It was encouraging to me that those people recognized it enough
to not click it at the time and ask someone else about it.

-Jeff