[Cialug] Java for Beginners

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Wed Nov 18 16:42:29 CST 2009

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 2:28 PM,  <joshstrobl at hush.ai> wrote:
> Hello guys, I am in programming class for C++, but want to make
> software that is orientated to not just Linux but Windows and Mac
> also (even though I despise both).
>
> I just downloaded Netbeans and I was wondering if someone has some
> lovely sites or videos I can watch to start me out. Time really
> doesn't matter, I got plenty of that ;)

Netbeans has some great videos and tutorials on their site. You should
work through those. If you know C++ syntax then Java syntax will be
pretty easy to get.

I don't think portability is the best reason to switch from C++ to
Java. If you want portability you can also use QT or wxWidgets with
C++. A C++ app using QT will be much faster and feel more native than
a Java app. QT also has a nice gui designer tool for creating your
UIs.

I'm not saying you should stick with C++. Java will probably make you
more productive because the language has garbage collection and some
other niceties that will speed up your tasks. But your apps will feel
like Java apps, not native apps (as they would with C++).

Of course I ditched both Java and C++ long ago to go into web
development and am happily productive with Python, PHP and Javascript.

--
Matthew Nuzum