[Cialug] New Linux User orientation?

Morris Dovey mrdovey at iedu.com
Tue Nov 17 16:17:27 CST 2009

Matt Breitbach wrote:
> So I'm foraying into the linux world hot and heavy.
>
> I'd love to find some good resources for new linux users - I don't need to
> know how to use GIMP, I don't need to know how to tweak the user interface,
> I need to know the meat and potatoes of Linux.  Mounts, permissions, file
> sharing, user management, etc.
>
> Anyone know of a good book or site that covers this information without
> going into extra crap that I don't need?

It'd help people to help you if you told from whence you come into the
Linux world...

I have an old copy of "Linux in a nutshell" ISBN:1-56592-167-4
(O'Reilly) that provides a large serving of the meat and potatoes you've
asked for.

For a bit (a /big/ bit, actually) more depth, I've resorted to "Advanced
Programming in the UNIX Environment" ISBN:0-201-563-17-7 (Addison Wesley).

What constitutes "extra crap" depends very much on the specifics of what
you'll be doing, and at what level - and you haven't provided any clues
in that direction, either.