[Cialug] Google Wave

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Fri Nov 13 09:53:15 CST 2009

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 9:18 AM, Brandon Griffis
<brandongriffis at gmail.com>wrote:

> I've had google wave for about a month now, but haven't played with it
> much.  It's not for not trying, but it just seems rather useless.  I don't
> think it'll replace "classic" email (at least not in its current form) as it
> doesn't have the same kind of features as email, and doesn't interact across
> different (read "non-google") servers.

My experience has been about the same but I think you're wrong about it
replacing classic email. Email is as dead as snail mail. Who picks up a pen
and writes a letter these days? My grandmother does. Few other people do and
it's considered a very formal method of communication now.

This is the way people in their early 20's and younger view email. This is
both from my personal observation and also has been shown through other's
research. (see some links below)

The netbook is a transitionary device. Soon everyone will have a mobile
phone that can keep them in touch with people and the information they need.
Then they won't need netbooks anymore. Email is the same thing. It is a
technology that fills the gap between one thing (paper mail) and whatever
comes next. And I think the increase of connected devices will be the
catalyst for email decreasing in importance.

I don't think email will be replaced by Google wave but it is an interesting
experiment that combines some of the benefits of email, the immediacy of
instant messaging and the richness of the web. I expect that Google Wave,
Gmail and Google Talk will combine into a single service at some point.

Remember, you heard it here first. ;-)

/me has always been a bit of a futurist