[Cialug] vmware ESXi 4 64 bit

Paul Gray gray at cs.uni.edu
Wed May 27 09:54:54 CDT 2009

albus wrote:
> Unless I don't understand it correctly, which is totally possible.
>
> The Intel site says the 960 does. http://www.intel.com/products/processor_number/chart/pentium_d.htm
> You do need to update the bios. Which I've done.
> There is an option to turn it on in the bios, which it is.

Have you tried booting with "noacpi noapic nolapic" or similar options to the
kernel?

Just because the chip supports virtualization doesn't mean that your bios is
ESXi friendly.  Sometimes you need to bypass motherboard issues in order to get
ESXi installed on hardware not listed in their directly-supported lists.

--
Paul Gray                                         -o)
314 ITT, Dept. of Computer Science                /\\