[Cialug] DNS Reverse Lookup

Tom Sellers tomsellers2001 at yahoo.com
Mon May 18 12:14:46 CDT 2009

Actually it looks like the information that you refer to below is in the named.conf.local file that exists in that same direcory.  I will attach the two file contents below.

named.conf
----------

// This is the primary configuration file for the BIND DNS server named.
//
// Please read /usr/share/doc/bind9/README.Debian.gz for information on the
// structure of BIND configuration files in Debian, *BEFORE* you customize
// this configuration file.
//
// If you are just adding zones, please do that in /etc/bind/named.conf.local

include "/etc/bind/named.conf.options";

// prime the server with knowledge of the root servers
zone "." {
	type hint;
	file "/etc/bind/db.root";
};

// be authoritative for the localhost forward and reverse zones, and for
// broadcast zones as per RFC 1912

zone "localhost" {
	type master;
	file "/etc/bind/db.local";
};

zone "127.in-addr.arpa" {
	type master;
	file "/etc/bind/db.127";
};

zone "0.in-addr.arpa" {
	type master;
	file "/etc/bind/db.0";
};

zone "255.in-addr.arpa" {
	type master;
	file "/etc/bind/db.255";
};

include "/etc/bind/named.conf.local";

named.conf.local
----------------

// Do any local configuration here
# Our domain zone
zone "mydomain.com" {
   type master;
   file "/etc/bind/zones/mydomain.com.db";
};//

# For reverse DNS
zone "1.168.192.inaddr.arpa" {
   type master;
   file "/etc/bind/zones/rev.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa";
};
//
// Consider adding the 1918 zones here, if they are not used in your
// organization
//include "/etc/bind/zones.rfc1918";