[Cialug] DNS Reverse Lookup

Tom Sellers tomsellers2001 at yahoo.com
Sat May 16 09:45:37 CDT 2009

I can't say since I am very new to working with DNS.  I don't have the opportunity to work with this at work since all that is done by our corporate support group.  That is why I was trying to learn something about it by setting one up at home.

I did learn some additional information that I don't know if is significant this morning.  Most of my testing has been done from the actual machine that is running the DNS.  When I do an nslookup on that machine for example my local gateway (idendified as "gw") is resolved right away.  However, if I go to a separate workstation and peform a ping command (ping gw) it does not resolve.  If I give it a fully qualified domain name (ping gw.mydomain.com) though it resolves immediately.

Is there anyone with a good knowledge of DNS that can give me some guidance on my setup?  I am running Ubuntu 8.10 on the machine and bind9. I have my DNS set up to forward to my ISP if the name does not resolve. I can browse the internet so I am getting resolution to outside web sites properly.  Directory structure is /etc/bind and below that /etc/bind/zones.  There are both a forward and reverse lookup in the zones directory.