[Cialug] Command Line Linux

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at drake.edu
Tue May 12 15:14:37 CDT 2009

For me, installing libX11 is usually sufficient on servers. That way i
can run X apps remotely (typically tunneled through SSH) without having
to configure a local X server. I like being able to do something like
"emacs /some/file &" and still have a prompt to do something else such
as "/etc/init.d/some_daemon reload". Of course there are other ways to
do the same thing without X11, such as do the editing with vim and
ctrl-z back to a prompt as needed.