[Cialug] External Hard Drive

Matt Stanton inflatablesoulmate at brothersofchaos.com
Sun May 10 16:35:51 CDT 2009

I recently bought a WD My Passport (500GB) external USB-powered HD for
my HP mini, on which I'm running Ubuntu Netbook Remix.  I am using it as
a portable media drive.  So, I needed it to be recognized by windows and
linux.  I plugged it into my home PC, running Vista Ultimate x64,
deleted all the WD software on the drive (backup/sync software), and
transfered all my anime, tv shows, movies, and mp3s to it (without doing
any sort of formatting).  When I finally got everything transfered (a 5
hour affair), I plugged it into my netbook and linux recognized it and
everything on it perfectly... even automounted it.

Other than having to grab some gstreamer plugins for the necessary
codecs, everything worked out of the box.  The only thing that comes to
mind that I haven't tried to do is save something from linux to the
drive, since I don't use the netbook to download stuff.  Checking the
filesystem, it seems that it came formatted as FAT32.

Hope this helps.