[Cialug] Blocking

Zachary Kotlarek zach at kotlarek.com
Fri May 8 11:32:06 CDT 2009

On May 8, 2009, at 10:57 AM, Daniel A. Ramaley wrote:

> My internal DNS server doesn't forward requests to my ISP. Why would i
> do that when i can just use the root servers directly?

A) Only a few ms away
B) May require less (or no) recursion based on cache-hits
C) May have less latency when recursion is required

I agree if your ISP is not reliable you might want to skip them, but
there might still be some benefit to using an external DNS cache if
you're on a medium or high-latency connection, or if there's a
reasonable chance of cache-hits given other users of the cache.

Plus it reduces upstream load, which is a friendly thing to do.

	Zach