[Cialug] [OT] Digital TV

Zachary Kotlarek zach at kotlarek.com
Mon May 4 15:49:41 CDT 2009

On May 4, 2009, at 3:38 PM, Tim Wilson wrote:

> 've heard that what you have to protect against the most is not
> lightning, but static electricity.  Wind blowing particles across
> the antenna can build up static electricity, which will travel down
> the wire and into your sensitive components.  I've had installers
> tell me that if (in my case) the dish were to get a direct strike,
> the lightning would likely travel the cable, regardless of
> grounding.  I don't know if that's true, but more than one person
> has told me this.  My guess is that in the case of a direct strike,
> enough electricity would still flow through the cable to fry
> components.

I think that's probably true -- there's a good chance a direct strike
will blow out your electronics no matter what. But hopefully you can
mitigate the damage and go from "my VCR exploded and started the house
on fire" to "the VCR blew a few capacitors and needs to be replaced".
And there's certainly a better chance your equipment will survive if
the line is properly grounded than if it's not.

> I've also heard to put a gentle curve in the cable coming down from
> the antenna similar to a drip curve.  The thought is, lightning (or
> at least some of it) will travel in a straight line, and will not
> follow the curve.

That's about inductance. You're supposed to install grounding wires
with no small-radius turns to minimize the inductance of the grounding
path. There's a very large, near-instantaneous current change related
to a lightning strike, so even minor curves can have a large impact on
the effectiveness of a grounding wire. There's probably some benefit
to adding inductance to the signal wire, but I don't know that it
would provide any practical amount of protection beyond the existing
high impedance of the signal path versus the grounding path.

	Zach