[Cialug] [OT] Digital TV

Zachary Kotlarek zach at kotlarek.com
Mon May 4 15:33:24 CDT 2009

On May 4, 2009, at 3:10 PM, <murraymckee at wellsfargo.com> <murraymckee at wellsfargo.com
 > wrote:

> I've heard of amplified antennas but not of amps in the line from a
> standard antenna.  Where does one look for them?  I've talked to
> both Best Buy and Radio Shack about the problem and they suggested
> the amplified antenna, but putting it in the living room, not in the
> attic.  It would seem to me to make more sense to put it in the attic.

I'm not making any specific recommendation for this product, but this
is what I'm talking about:
	http://www.amazon.com/foo/dp/B0018CDGEQ
Alternatively I've had this one recommended to me, though I've never
personally tried it:
	http://www.amazon.com/foo/dp/B000GGKOG8

In a pre-amp you're looking for something with a noise rating as low
as possible -- 3-4 dB is acceptable, 2 dB is very good, lower is
better. The last one I bought was some no-name box from Menards with
with a 2.4 dB noise rating, and it seems to work fine.

--

If you have enough signal from the antenna and are just fighting cable/
splitter losses you might do better with one of these:

If you're not sure which problem you have you might check to see if
you can get decent reception with a short, non-split cable running
directly from the antenna to a TV. I know that's not trivial with an
attic antenna, but it's worth checking if you can.

--

For both amp type it's worth considering how they are powered -- it
can be a real pain to find an outlet for a wall-wart in the attic, so

	Zach