[Cialug] Free junk

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at drake.edu
Fri May 1 10:10:36 CDT 2009

On 2009-05-01 at 09:55:14, David Champion wrote:
>Daniel A. Ramaley wrote:
>> Printronix 1200 line-per-minute printer
>
>Is that one of those beasts with the oscillating dot matrix print head
>bar thing? I worked on some of those (but like the 300 and 600 LPM
>models) back in the late 80's.

I'm not sure if it is exactly what you are thinking, but "beast" is
certainly a correct word for it. The size of the thing makes me think
of a deep-freeze or a (large) washing machine. It is a wide-format
dot-matrix printer that i think prints entire lines at once rather than
individual characters. The print "head" is unlike that of a
desktop-size dot matrix printer; it is indeed more of a bar. This
printer would be at home in a 1980s (or earlier) mainframe room. It was
still used here until a few months ago, printing out reports.

>I should put that in my cube and make printouts of my code all day
> long. My coworkers would love that.

Or attach it to a busy web server and pipe http_access.log to it.