[Cialug] Optical Drive Won't Boot

Todd Walton tdwalton at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 10:36:42 CDT 2009

oes to the hard drive, which has a GRUB, but doesn't have a bootable
system on it.  I checked that the DVD drive is supposed to be the
first boot device, and also my motherboard will take the F8 key to
choose boot device.  I use that and explicitly choose the DVD drive.
It doesn't boot the disc.

My motherboard is mainly SATA, with one IDE connector.  I have the
optical drive and the hard drive on the IDE connector.  The hard drive
is slave and the optical drive is master.  I know this set up should
be okay because on the older CD drive the CD boots (it just dies
shortly afterward).  The DVD drive is set to master.  I would think
that if the jumper were set wrong that it wouldn't boot at all, not
even to the hard drive's GRUB.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get this DVD drive to boot?

-todd