[Cialug] Problem upgrading ubuntu fiesty to gutsy

Nathan C. Smith nathan.smith at ipmvs.com
Thu Mar 26 15:14:14 CDT 2009

I have been trying to upgrade ubuntu feisty to Ubuntu gutsy.  I have replaced all my apt-sources with old-releases.ubuntu.com because us.archive.ubuntu.com no longer seems to have what my machine wants for the update.

I have edited /etc/apt/sources.list and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/prerequists-sources.list to change all the repositories to old-releases....

I can run apt-get update but when I do apt-get dist-upgrade it switches some of the prerequists-sources.list back to us.archive....

Can anyone tell me why it is doing that, and is there any way to brute force the upgrade?  (in the old days we could sometimes just change all the names from feisty to gutsy and apt-get until done.)

I have limited physical access to the machine, otherwise I might have used a CD-ROM by now.

-Nate