[Cialug] Mixing wifi 802.11 A,B,G,N

Josh More morej at alliancetechnologies.net
Wed Mar 18 20:33:14 CDT 2009

I believe that the B+G issue was that the data types were incompatible.

N is basically G that's been multiplexed with different radios.  I'd
think that a G+N network should be fine, but a B+N network might still
have issues.

-Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP, GIAC
 morej at alliancetechnologies.net
 515-245-7701

Matthew Nuzum wrote:
> Hi, a while back, when G came out and started taking the steam out of
> A, I heard that using B and G on the same network caused G performance
> to drop to the B level. This would have been the very early G days so
> I was wondering if with today's wireless networking if you have an N
> router and one each of B, G and N devices, will they all get their
> maximum speed or will some of them suffer a performance hit?

Most consumer hardware does this. I have only come across one enterprise

product that doesn't. To clarify the point, it will only slow to the
lowest speed device attached to the wireless network.

--
Nick Fox

Fox Media Systems, LLC
Owner / President