[Cialug] Wiping Hard Drives

David Champion dave at dchamp.net
Thu Mar 12 09:15:41 CDT 2009

Keith Carpenter wrote:

>  Personally I prefer large caliber handguns for drilling MY hard drives:-)
>
> "I carry a gun, because a Cop is TOO heavy"
>
> Keith
>
> (former) Police Chief, Hartford IA 1982-1988

In our experiment a while back, we shot up an old PC case - a rather
hefty AST mid-tower circa 1995 - with various guns. Most of the handguns
we used, .22, 9mm, .44, .45, failed to penetrate all the way through the
case. The rifle rounds, .223, .308 etc, went right through. The .50 BMG
didn't even notice there was a case there... some of us thought the case
would go flying, but it didn't move at all. The handgun rounds knocked
it over several times.

-dc