[Cialug] Semi-OT: wiping a hard drive once is enough?

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at drake.edu
Wed Mar 11 16:53:55 CDT 2009

What i've read on the subject over the last couple years is that if
you've an old MFM drive from the 1980s, one pass is insufficient. A
well-financed attacker would be able to either instruct the drive to
reposition its heads to read the faint left-over signal at the edge of
the tracks, or disassemble the drive and use an electron microscope to
read the residual magnetic fields. In the latter case, the attacker
would have to be very well financed indeed, as time on such a
microscope is not cheap. In the former case, perhaps all it would take
is some specialized data recovery software; i don't really know.

If you have a drive made in the 1990s or 2000s, don't worry about it.
One pass with all zeros is adequate. The residual magnetic fields are
so small that they cannot be differentiated from the background noise
on the drive, even with expensive equipment. If you're really paranoid,
writing a pass or two of random data won't cost anything but your time
and some electricity. It might be possible in a few decades for
technology to have improved enough that someone could take a 2009-era
drive and pull wiped data off of it, but given that magnetic fields on
drives slowly degrade anyway, it isn't something i'm personally worried
about. If i have a drive that is either dying or no longer necessary, i
do a one-pass wipe to zeroes, and then either discard it, give it away,
or put it in storage (depending on the scenario).