[Cialug] Semi-OT: wiping a hard drive once is enough?

Morris Dovey mrdovey at iedu.com
Wed Mar 11 13:44:24 CDT 2009

Nathan Stien wrote:

> In the above link, the author says that multi-pass hard drive wiping
> programs are silly, because overwriting data once with zeroes is enough
> to make it unrecoverable to forensics experts.  This is definitely
> counter to what I have been taught, and I'm curious what y'all think
> about it.

Methinks it depends on {1} how the drive was used and (2) on the
resourcefulness of the folks wanting to recover the data.

If the data areas were changed frequently, then there may be less risk;
and if the data areas were changed only infrequently and read back with
very much more sensitive amplifiers, it might be possible to recover a
much larger portion of the content.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar