[Cialug] How to retire a domain (was: AAFUGIT)

Claus cniesen at gmx.net
Wed Mar 11 11:44:53 CDT 2009

I had to retire the domain of a non-profit organization as well.  One of
my personal goals was trying to avoid that the domain is being picked up
by anyone questionable.  Especially since some outdated document around
the internet still link to the old domain.

The idea was to make the domain name worthless.  I archived this by
registering the domain for an additional year but not directing the
traffic to anywhere.  No notice, no redirects, nothing.  And it did
work. Nobody picked up the domain name. :)

   Claus