[Cialug] Web Slowing Down

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Wed Mar 11 09:00:04 CDT 2009

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 8:49 AM, Daniel A. Ramaley
<daniel.ramaley at drake.edu> wrote:
> I do notice, however, that with Gmail open i get a "xulrunner-bin"
> process running constantly and using whatever free CPU is available. I
> have no idea what that process is doing. If i close the Gmail tab the
> process continues running but stops using an easily measurable amount
> of CPU. I wonder if Google has figured out a javascript implementation
> of SETI at home or Folding at home or some other *@home project and is
> running it whenever someone uses Gmail.

You probably have gears installed.

The advice about closing gmail is good - arguably for system
perforrnance, but definitely for your productivity. Close the email
program, close twitter, set IM/IRC to away, put the phone on DND and
focus. Works great for me.

--
Matthew Nuzum