[Cialug] SSH

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at drake.edu
Tue Mar 3 15:48:30 CST 2009

It is possible to get a Windows-like remote desktop on Linux, but not
with a default configuration of X. Getting your own desktop that is
completely separate from the user sitting at the console is rather
trivial (i use VNC running as a daemon for that function, and then
connect to it with VNC piped over SSH), but connecting to the same X
display as the console usually requires running some kind of X wrapper
on the console. And that usually precludes 3D acceleration or other
fancy features that the local user might otherwise expect. Note that
i've not actually tried to do this, so take what i say with a grain of
salt.