[Cialug] Crashing with errors in mcelog

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at drake.edu
Tue Mar 3 13:55:17 CST 2009

On 2009-03-03 at 13:25:56, Aaron Porter wrote:
><daniel.ramaley at drake.edu> wrote:
>> The thing about memtest86, though, is that in my experience it just
>> flat out doesn't work. I've let it run for days on machines that are
>> known to have memory problems and it never finds them.
>
>When running memtest on "server grade" hardware it's important to
>disable ECC in the system BIOS. I've had vendors swear up and down
>that there are no memory issues as they were testing the error
>correction and not the memory itself.

Thanks for the hint.

In the past i've only run memtest86 on cheap desktop hardware without
ECC.

My desktop machine at home is "server grade" hardware, to the limit of
what budget i was able to rationalize at the time. It does have ECC
RAM. I'll be sure to disable the ECC when running memtest86. My
previous machine was also "server grade" hardware and ended up being my
primary machine for 9 years with very little upgrades--the only major
one was replacing the SCSI subsystem (controller, CD-RW drive, hard
drive) with SATA. I was hoping that if i used high quality hardware
that i could have another machine that would last a long time.