[Cialug] PC diagnostics

kristau kristau at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 21:08:29 CST 2009

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 8:59 AM, Tom Sellers <tomsellers2001 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestions!  I don't know what folding at home is at this point but will look into it.  If this process encounters an error does it stop or what?

The primary point of running folding at home (fah) is to provide CPU and
RAM load on the system.  In and of itself, fah's purpose is not to
diagnose any problems with your computer, but it uses a lot of CPU and
RAM which provides "stress" for your testing.  Under the sort of
stress fah provides, you will be looking for system lock-ups or kernel
panics due to system overheating.  If your system locks up after a few
minutes or hours of running at 100% load, you may have a faulty fan or
other cooling system component.

--
Tired programmer
Coding late into the night