[Cialug] Centos on Dell 2950

David Champion dave at dchamp.net
Mon Mar 2 15:03:14 CST 2009

Dave Weis wrote:
> Tom Pohl wrote:
>> So are you running the 32bit centos or 64 bit?
>>
>> If you're running the 32bit, I've seen random crashes before.
>
> Probably 32 bit. It's on the way at a bit over a megabyte/second and
> will still take an hour.
>
> dave
I haven't seen any issues with this...I'm running 32 bit Linux kernels
on a couple of 64 bit processors, including an Intel core2duo (laptop)
and an AMD X2. But I'm also running Mandriva on those, so the kernel is
compiled with a lot of different options than CentOS... which is
probably using the processor = fossilized flag. But I get my own unique
headaches...

At work we're running CentOS 5.2 64 bit, on a Dell 2950 with 2 Intel
E5430 processors. It seems to be pretty stable.

Is there any reason you can't run 64 bit? I run 32 bit on the desktop
because some things don't (or didn't anyway) work well with the 64 bit
kernel, like the flash plugin, and some games and 3rd party apps.

-dc