[Cialug] Vmware player 2.5 using NAT

Tony Bibbs tony at tonybibbs.com
Mon Mar 2 11:05:00 CST 2009

I can't seem to get this working with Ubuntu as the host to an XP VM.  2.5
introduces a graphical installer to vmware-player which is really annoying.
When I start my VM I get errors about not being able to open /dev/vmnet8.

Anyway, vmware-config.pl doesn't exist with 2.5 so I'm clueless. My
/var/log/vnetlib has a bunch of this:

VNLNetCfgGetAnswerInt32 - Value not found or failed to convert value to
integer: null
VNL_Load - LOG_ERR logged
VNL_Load - LOG_WRN logged
VNL_Load - LOG_OK logged
VNLNetCfgGetAnswerInt32 - Value not found or failed to convert value to
integer: null
VNL_Load - Successfully initialized Vnetlib
VNLServiceStatus - pid: 10691 for Bridge service daemon on vnet: 0 is stale
VNLExtractPidFromFile - Could not open the PID file:
/var/run/vmnet-dhcpd-vmnet0.pid, error: No such file or directory
VNLServiceStatus - Could not extract PID of DHCP
VNLExtractPidFromFile - Could not open the PID file:
/var/run/vmnet-natd-0.pid, error: No such file or directory
VNLServiceStatus - Could not extract PID of NAT
VNLAdapterStatus - ioctl: SIOCGIFFLAGS failed, error: No such device
VNL_GetVnetFeatures - Returning features of vnet
VNLExtractPidFromFile - Could not open the PID file:
/var/run/vmnet-netifup-vmnet0.pid, error: No such file or directory
VNLServiceStatus - Could not extract PID of Netifup
VNL_GetServiceStatus - "Netifup" service is currently stopped on vnet:
vmnet0
VNLExtractPidFromFile - Could not open the PID file:
/var/run/vmnet-bridge-1.pid, error: No such file or directory
VNLServiceStatus - Could not extract PID of Bridge
VNLExtractPidFromFile - Could not open the PID file:
/var/run/vmnet-dhcpd-vmnet1.pid, error: No such file or directory

--
Tony Bibbs
Email: tony at tonybibbs.com Phone: 515.554.8046