[Cialug] Text Processing Choices

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at drake.edu
Tue Jun 30 08:56:11 CDT 2009

sed, awk, grep, sort, cut, comm, perl. Not necessarily in that order. I
use the more traditional tools for simple tasks, and perl for anything
complicated. I sometimes use perl instead of grep for simple searches
on large files, since Perl is faster than grep. For searching small
files the startup time of perl and the extra typing to create a
syntactically correct 1-line perl program leads me to use grep.