[Cialug] Transplant OS

Zachary Kotlarek zach at kotlarek.com
Thu Jun 25 18:48:35 CDT 2009

On Jun 25, 2009, at 5:54 PM, Don Cady wrote:

> My quick answer is ZFS.

I know ZFS is the /. answer for all recent disk and file-system
related questions, but even after looking in to it I'm still not clear
what it buys me over RAID + LVM2 + JFS. RAID-Z/RAID-Z2 isn't a bad
plan, but at least personally I'm either running RAID-1 (where RAID-Z
offers little benefit and additional restrictions) or against some
hardware device that provides RAID transparently.

Plus I'm not sold on the conflation of file system and disk array that
ZFS requires; while it has benefits it is necessarily more fragile
because of the interdependence. Plus there's currently no way to grow
a group in ZFS, so you have to add at least 2 disks at at time (or 3
if you want to actually take advantage of RAID-Z) which can make live
migrations more complicated.

I'd honestly be interested to know what all the hubbub is about. Am I
just missing something? Is in-line checksumming something I'm really
supposed to care about even on hardware that doesn't have a
significant bit-flip rate? Is it just that I don't run any RAID-5
arrays and therefore don't care about parity generation and write holes?

> EMC, NetApp, etc also have products

Which are great, and if I could afford them I wouldn't bother with LVM
or ZFS. But such devices don't fit into most small-business IT
budgets, and certainly aren't going to be connected my personal
servers anytime soon.

	Zach