[Cialug] Transplant OS

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at drake.edu
Wed Jun 24 09:31:43 CDT 2009

On 2009-06-24 at 07:39:24, Paul Gray wrote:
>>Ok, my server's primary drive is in SMART Pre-Fail. It's used too
>>many of the spare sectors.  Now I need to transplant my OS to a new
>>drive.
>
>There are many ways to do what you want from a bootable distro.

There's something related that i've wondered since learning to use LVM
in the not-too-distant past. Assuming the original disk was partitioned
using LVM, would it be possible to live migrate to the new one with
very little downtime (just the time required for 1 or 2 reboots)?

I presume the /boot partition would have to be copied by more
traditional means (cp, tar, rsync) as it is usually not part of LVM,
and grub or lilo would also have to be run on the new disk. But for the
LVM partitions, would it be possible to extend the physical volume over
to the new disk, then tell LVM to move the data over? For a home
machine attempting this might be overkill, but for a critical server
that shouldn't have any downtime, it might be worth doing. Well, if the
server is truly "critical" then it probably has RAID and the failure of
one drive would simply require replacing that drive... so perhaps this
idea isn't practical after all.