[Cialug] [OT] Geek-friendly hardware

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at drake.edu
Sun Jun 21 20:50:03 CDT 2009

I'm moving and need to divest myself of some large items that are well
suited to ownership by a fellow tech geek. There are 2 items, described
separately below:

Barco Data 800 projector
------------------------
This projector is of the CRT variety. It has three 8-inch tubes (one
each for red, green, blue) and can be either ceiling or floor mounted.
(I have it ceiling mounted.) It has a good reputation among projector
enthusiasts. It is in working condition and has several analog inputs
(RCA, S-Video, RGBHV component, and some proprietary Barco connector).
It should handle resolutions up to 1080i, though i've not personally
driven it that hard before. I currently have it projecting on a 12 foot
screen consisting of a wall that is painted white. It can project on
various size screens from as little as 4 feet to as much as 16 (IIRC).
Unfortunately, it weighs 140 pounds. I will of course assist in
carrying it to a vehicle. It is small enough to (barely) fit in a car
trunk, at least for a mid size or large car. I'm willing to include all
necessary cables to hook it up, as well as the Barco 10-input switchbox
and controller so you can have many devices connected to it. I'd like
to get $200 for everything (i acquired the projector for a very modest
price but have put several hundred dollars into it for the cables and
some repairs to the unit). If you are interested but do not want to pay
so much, please tell me and we can negotiate a better deal. I'm more
interested in seeing it go to a good home than recovering my costs.

Electrostatic speaker units
---------------------------
There are 2 units. Each one consists of 2 actual speakers and is
approximately 5 feet tall, 2.5 feet wide, and 2 *inches* thick. The
stand that holds them upright makes the thickness about 2 feet or so,
but the speakers themselves are only about 2 inches. These units were
manufactured in the 1970s and originally retailed for about $5000. The
lower panel on one of the speakers needs repair work (it is not as loud
as it should be) and i'm not sure who can repair them locally. But even
without the repair work, these speakers sound *amazing*. Note that i'm
not an "audiophile", but to my ears these sound better than most modern
speakers that use cone technology. I've heard that within the audio
community these are still very highly regarded. I originally purchased
them from a previous roommate for $140, but am willing to let them go
for whatever i can get. Make an offer.